ads

Friday, November 7, 2014

Public Service Announcement

Happy Sabbath!!!

I'm going to be honest with you....

Ever since I had this blog, I've been dying to post what's been on my mind, but I rarely do. There's always something coming to my mind that I feel is so profound it needs to be shared, but I never post it. I wondered "Why is that?!!?" Today, I found out why...

I value my mouth over my ears.
I am quick to speak and slow to listen.
I want my voice to be heard, while my actions are mere thoughts that never get to the execution phase. 
I like to make profound statements that means absolutely nothing to the real struggling person.
I like give my opinion when it's not necessary or even wanted.
I like to give my remedy to the problem without actually being part of the solution.
I ask questions to which I already know the answers.
I mask criticism with false concern. 
I judge motives.
I label.
I'm thankful. 

I'm thankful that God put so many things in my way, that I didn't have time to dwell on, reveal, and validate these thoughts. Of course there have been several slip ups on Facebook and Twitter, but not as much as what it could've been, had I had the time. Thank God.

I'm saying all of this because I have to let go. I am letting go. Social media gets me so riled up and ready to defend and sometimes offend, that I forget there's a person on the other side who needs to be loved. Last year I would've responded to myself saying "You can love people and give em a piece of your mind too! I don't sugar-coat." While that thought tries to creep into my mind every now and then, I've learned that it's definitely possible, but highly unlikely. Love is patient, kind, not jealous, doesn't brag, isn't arrogant, doesn't act unbecomingly, isn't selfish, isn't provoked, doesn't remember past wrongs, doesn't rejoice in wrong doing, rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, and it never fails. Most status posts, blog posts, tweets, etc are completely opposite of love, no matter how much I try to justify my "tough love" comments and remarks. There is another person on the other side that needs real love. 

Now that I'm aware of these things, God will work to change me. (You know what they say, the first step is to come out of denial and admit the truth.) With the power of Jesus, I will be a blessing to others. I will focus on what's good and true. I will think about things that are pure and lovely. I will dwell on what's good in others. I will share uplifting thoughts rather than criticisms. 

I want my ears and mouth to be tools for blessing others.
I want to be slow to speak and quick to listen.
I want my voice to be unnecessary, because my actions are doing all of the talking.
I want my profound statements to be from the Holy Spirit and help the struggling person.
I want my ideas and thoughts to be in harmony with Jesus'. 
I want to only provide a solution when it can practically be delivered.
I want to ask real questions that give me a broader perspective so I'm able to love someone better. 
I want to exonerate others.
I want to hope for the best.
I want to free people of the boxes in which I've put them.
I want to continue to be thankful.

This is my prayer, and I want you to pray for me too. I hope I don't regret saying this, but hold me accountable. Let me know when I slip up. We can grow together. None of us are perfect, but Jesus is and He can show off His perfect self through us! Thank you in advance for your prayers, and have a great night!  

My Lesson: Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. (Eph 4:29) In all other matters, silence is eloquence.

-Marquitta J

P.S. I hope this means I can post more often! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment